What to do if you receive an unexpected unemployment tax form in the mail


People who receive an unexpected form like 1099-G likely mean they are victims of identity theft or fraud

(WKBN) – Ohio has been troubled by scammers trying to get free unemployment benefits during the pandemic. The last problem is people are getting 1099-G tax forms or debit cards in the mailbox.

Thousands of Ohioans received the tax forms, including Cindy Gorse in Warren. Hers said she received $ 2,588 in unemployment benefits last year.

“Pretty crazy, but I’m finding out that there are a lot of people that have happened to it,” she said.

Gors never signed for unemployment. She is retired.

People who receive an unexpected form like this probably mean they are victims of identity theft or fraud.

“We are deeply sorry that the criminal actions of those who hope to benefit from this pandemic emergency have caused hardship and anxiety for honest people,” said Kim Henderson, director of the ODJFS.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services issued 200,000 1099-G forms last year. Last month the ministry issued 1.7 million.

“I’m not the only one. I’m not the only one, but it just makes me sick to my stomach,” said Annette Walton, 82, of Warren.

ODJFS has received over 70,000 reports of identity theft on its website.

Gorse even obtained a ReliaCard giving access to debit card benefits. She canceled it.

” What’s their point ? Because they send me the card, they don’t get the money, so I really don’t understand what the point is, ”Gorse said.

The state wants you to report if you get a 1099-G or a ReliaCard. They say it’s not a problem in the system, it’s fraud.

“We know there is very likely an international engagement,” said Henderson.

So what should you do if you receive a 1099-G or ReliaCard in the mail? Go to unemployment.ohio.gov and click on the red button that says “Report Identity Theft”. All the information you need to know is there.

Once you report it to the ODJFS, they will review it and, if necessary, send a correction to the IRS.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.