Martin Lewis urges all workers to check their tax code after first payroll of new tax year

MARTIN Lewis urged all workers to check their tax code after the first payday of the new fiscal year.

The personal finance guru says it’s important to make sure you’re not overcharged by the tax office.


Martin Lewis urged workers to check their tax code if they’ve been paid recentlyCredit: Ken McKay/ITV/REX

If you have received a pay packet since April 6, you should check to see if you are on the correct tax code.

If it’s wrong, you may be able to get the money you overpaid back.

It could also show if you’re paying less tax, to help “avoid a future nightmare,” Martin said.

You can use MoneySavingExpert for free tax code calculator to ensure that you are paying the correct amount.

Martin Lewis explains how you can save hundreds of dollars with an easy hotel booking tip
Martin Lewis fan recovers £4,800 after bank account error - do you owe money?

If you know your tax code, you can simply insert it into the calculator to find out how much you should pay to the tax office.

Workers who do not know which code they should appear on can consult their payslip, their P45 or P60 form.

Ask your human resources department if you don’t know where to find them.

But if you only have one employer and earn less than £100,000 your code will probably be 1257L.

Your tax code may be wrong if you recently changed jobs or have more than one income.

It can also be affected if part of your salary is made up of benefits, such as medical insurance or a company car.

People who have just started their first job are often placed under an emergency tax code and will be wrongly charged a higher rate.

How can I claim the overpayment of tax?

If you were charged too much tax, you should be able to get a refund.

However, the method of reimbursement depends on when the supplement was paid and your current work situation.

For example, if you are entitled to a discount from your current job from April 6, 2022, you will get the money back from your salary when your tax code has been corrected.

Call HMRC on 0300 200 3300 to change your tax code.

If the overpayment occurred between April 2021 and 2022, HMRC will send you a P800 tax calculation, explaining how to get a refund.

No frills Susanna makes Boris squirm as she grills him on cost of living
Piers goes after cash grabbing Meghan in rant about her Netflix ax

Workers who paid additional tax between April 2018 and 2021 will have to request a discount online.

But if the overpayment was made before April 2018, you won’t be able to get the money back.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Source link

Comments are closed.