Majority in UK backs scrapping non-domiciled tax status, poll finds – LabourList

A majority of UK adults support scrapping non-domiciled tax status, exclusive poll by Savanta ComRes for work list shows amid an ongoing public backlash caused by revelations relating to Rishi Sunak’s tax affairs.

The new research found a total of 51% of people backed scrapping the statute, which allows individuals to pay a £30,000 levy to avoid paying UK income tax on the earned abroad, while only 20% said they would oppose the decision. 30% of people told the pollster they didn’t know.

Among voters who backed the Conservative Party in the 2019 general election, 57% supported scrapping non-dom tax status. 55% of Labor voters in 2019 backed the proposal, as did 60% of those who chose to support the Lib Dems.

Sunak came under pressure over his tax arrangements after it emerged his wife, Akshata Murty, had claimed non-dom status. She owns a £670million stake in global IT company Infosys, from which she received £11.6million in dividends last year. Murty is estimated to have saved £2.1million a year by claiming non-dom status.

Reports said the Chancellor was considering his position over the weekend. He moved his family out of their Downing Street residence, to their home in Kensington. Her allies, however, said the move was solely about wanting to be closer to her daughter’s school.

Sunak demanded last week that Boris Johnson launch a Whitehall inquiry into his own tax affairs, telling the Prime Minister he was “confident” that everything had been correctly declared since he became minister in 2018.

60% of respondents told Savanta ComRes it was in the public interest for people to know how much the Chancellor’s wife saved on her tax bill by claiming non-dom status. 22% thought no and 18% said they didn’t know.

Former chancellor and current health secretary Sajid Javid also revealed last week that he had claimed non-domicile status for six years while working as a banker, before becoming an MP, between 2000 and 2006. He also admitted to holding wealth in an offshore trust until he became a minister in 2012.

Keir Starmer called Johnson earlier this week to confirm that no other cabinet ministers have used measures to reduce their tax liability, arguing that the revelations showed it was “a rule for them and another for all the others”.

work manifesto 2015 proposed to abolish non-dom status. Yvette Cooper told the BBC on Sunday that the Labor Party was “carrying out a ‘review of all tax exemptions and tax provisions’ and the party’s Steve Reed said earlier this week that the Labor Party seeks to close the tax loopholes.

Momentum called on Labor to commit to scrapping non-dom status, describing the move as “no-brainer”. The left group tweeted monday“The public is rightly fed up with the rich not paying their fair share. By calling for the abolition of the no-dom loophole, Labor would be showing that it is in touch with public outrage and putting clear red water between our party and an unpopular conservative elite.

Below is the result of the survey conducted by Savanta ComRes.

Which of the following statements best describes your point of view?

Non-domicile status should be abolished in the UK – 51%
Non-domicile status should not be abolished in the UK – 20%
Don’t know – 30%

Which of the following statements best describes your point of view?

It is in the public interest to know how much the Chancellor’s wife, Akshata Murty, saved on her tax bill due to her non-domicile status – 60%
It is not in the public interest to know how much the Chancellor’s wife, Akshata Murty, saved on her tax bill due to her non-domicile status – 22%
Don’t know – 18%

Savanta ComRes surveyed 2,145 UK adults aged 18+ online from 8-10 April 2022. Data was weighted to be representative of all UK adults aged 18+ by age, gender, region and SEG .

Do you appreciate our free and unique service?

LabourList has more readers than ever – but we need your support. Our dedicated coverage of Labor politicians and personalities, internal debates, selections and elections relies on donations from our readers.

Support LabourList



Source link

Comments are closed.