How to get a replacement tax form SSA-1099

An SSA-1099, also known as the Social Security Benefit Statement, details the income from Social Security payments. The Social Security Administration sends SSA-1099s each January in January to U.S. citizens and residents who received benefits the previous year so that they can include the information on their tax returns.

If you did not receive your SSA-1099 or if you have misplaced it, you can get a replacement online if you have a My Social Security account. Log into your account and click on the Replacement Documents link. You will be able to access your form and save a printable copy.

The same is true for an SSA-1042S, the tax form that Social Security sends to beneficiaries outside of the United States who are not U.S. citizens and are not considered U.S. residents for tax purposes. Generally speaking, this means foreign nationals who do not have a green card or who have not spent a substantial part of the previous three years in the United States.

If you don’t have a My Social Security account, you can call Social Security at 800-772-1213 or visit your local office to request a new SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you live abroad, contact the nearest Federal Benefits Unit.

[Editor’s note: Local Social Security offices are currently closed to walk-in visits due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many Social Security services are available online and by phone. If you have a “dire need situation” regarding your benefits or need to update information attached to your Social Security number, such as your name or citizenship status, you may be able to schedule an in-person appointment. See Social Security’s coronavirus page or call your local office for more information.]

Replacement copies of both documents are available from February 1.

Keep in mind

  • You do not need these forms if the only benefit you receive is Supplementary Security Income (SSI), a program run by Social Security that provides payments to low-income elderly, disabled, and blind people. SSI benefits are not taxable.
  • You must have a valid mailing address in the United States to open a My Social Security account. You can create and use an account when you live abroad, but only if you maintain an address in the United States.

Source link

Comments are closed.