Denial of Church Sexual Abuse Repair Resulting in Refund and Change in Tax Status

0

Faith groups refusing to help survivors of institutional child sexual abuse could have their charitable status revoked and their funding withdrawn if they do not subscribe to the national recourse program.

In a letter with strong terms, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Minister of Social Services Anne Ruston called the 25 organizations “wrong” by ordering each to explain their refusal.

The organizations, which were named during the Royal Commission but have not yet joined the redress program, have until Tuesday to respond or risk being named and humiliated.

“All the institutions do by not joining, it is doubling the crime and doubling the evil”, the letter, seen by The new daily, read.

“We consider it reprehensible that you did not join the program.”

Among the big stick approaches, Senator Ruston threatened to withdraw charitable and deductible gift recipient status, as well as future funding.

“We urge you to join the program not for fear of being identified, but because it is the right thing to do,” wrote the prime minister and the senator.

“It is the right thing to do for the survivors and their families and it is what every honest and honest Australian demands. “

At least 103 victims who have filed for compensation are uncertain because an organization has refused to join the program.

Catherine Beaumont, 50, is one of them.

Catherine Beaumont will not be compensated.

She was abused in the 1970s by an elder from her congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Perth.

“The first time I was raped, I was four… he was in our congregation and was a close family friend,” she said. The New Daily.

“It lasted six years. I was marinated in the abuse.

After he stopped abusing her, another member of the congregation attempted to assault Ms. Beaumont.

She bravely opened up to a family member, but the complaint went nowhere.

“It was probably a month later when the elders came to talk. They said if I hadn’t been like … it wouldn’t have happened. I deserved what I got, ”Ms. Beaumont said.

Under a pseudonym, Ms. Beaumont testified during the Royal Commission, and subsequently sought compensation through the national remedies scheme.

But his candidacy will go nowhere.

Last week, the Church of Jehovah’s Witnesses said it would not sign the program, the only national organization to categorically refuse.

There are at least 1,800 alleged victims of child sexual abuse linked to the church.

Although the Royal Commission suggested that 514 alleged assailants deserved an investigation, no cases were referred to police.

The letter seen by The new daily.

A letter recently obtained by The new daily shows the drastic steps church leaders took to erase all records.

In 2019, the highest body of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Australia wrote to elders asking them to “destroy” the so-called court records and some notes from the congregation.

“We ask each elder to check their personal computer or paper files, and even their meeting bag, to ensure that no confidential correspondence is kept outside of the confidential congregation file,” it reads. the letter.

The Royal Commission found that instead of reporting the abuse to the police, Jehovah’s Witnesses conducted so-called judicial hearings where wrongdoing was broadcast and three male “elders” passed judgment if the alleged abuse had occurred.

Ms Beaumont said she broke down when the church refused to enroll in the program.

The impact of his trauma is permanent; she entered and left psychiatric services and at one point developed an addiction to methamphetamine.

Her attacker has never been questioned and has never been charged.

“I thought what’s the point? I can’t spend another year doing this. I’m exhausted, ”Ms. Beaumont said.

“How can [the church] to say [it is] an open and loving Christian religion?

“They must be held accountable.”


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.